Every helping hand makes Arlington's environment better. Join the ranks of more than 140 trained volunteers performing community service to improve the lives of families living in affordable housing. Read More
Green Living Expo and Earth Week Community Fair
ACE of Cupcakes Contest
ACE is celebrating its 35th birthday at theÂ Green Living Expo and Earth Week Community FairÂ on April 21 with the ACE of Cupcakes contest, a special event featuring cupcakes provided by three local chefs.
Contestant chefs will create anniversary cupcakes to celebrate ACEâ€™s accomplishments engaging local residents in environmental stewardship and protecting our air, water, and open spaces. Entries will be judged based on taste, whether design connects to ACEâ€™s mission, and the use of organic and local ingredients. Stop by the fair from 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. to observe the contest and taste the chefsâ€™ offerings.
The contestant chefs are:
- David Guas of Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery in Courthouse
- Bridie McCulla of Northside Social and Liberty Tavern in Clarendon
- Lindsay Meehan of Red Velvet Cupcakery in DC and Reston
The judges are:
- An Arlington County K-12 Student to be determined. Â (Tell us why you would make a great judge and you just might be the one selected to join the panel!)
- Sam Alnahhas, Executive Pastry Chef, Main Event Caterers
- Scott Brodbeck, Editor, ARLNOW.com
- David DeCamp, Chair, Arlington Chamber of Commerce
Louisiana native and chef,Â David Guas, a finalist for a James Beard Cookbook Award, andÂ Best New Chef by Mid-Atlantic, Food & Wine Magazine, can be seen muscling up gumbo or his award winning muffuletta sandwich and beignets at his down-home restaurant,Â Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery. His restaurant is a rustic â€˜funkifiedâ€™ southern-style hangout in Arlington, featuring southern comfort fare and his signature desserts.
Bridie McCullaÂ grew up in Richmond in a family that loves to cook and eat. AfterÂ sheÂ studied languages inÂ college and worked in Italy after graduation, eating great Italian food convinced her that her true calling was culinary.Â Bridie directs the pastry program atÂ Northside Social, as well as creating the desserts for its sister restaurant,Â The Liberty Tavern. She continues searching for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie.
Lindsay MeehanÂ is the executive pastry chef atÂ Red Velvet Cupcakery. Sweets, treats, andÂ anything food has been a love of her life since she was young. Coming from a tight knit family, cooking, baking, and sharing food together has always been a tradition. She gained her experience in various bake shops including â€œBest of Phillyâ€ winner Sweet Jazmineâ€™s in Berwyn, Pennsylvania and Sweet Eats Bakery of Vorhees, New Jersey.
More information about the contestantsâ€™ restaurants can be found at:
- Bayou Bakery:Â bayoubakeryva.com
- Liberty Tavern:Â thelibertytavern.com
- Northside Social:Â northsidesocialarlington.com
- Red Velvet Cupcakery:Â redvelvetcupcakery.com