|2016-2017 Program Announcement:‘ The deadline for applications has been extended until midnight Thursday, October 20.
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are, too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007‘ with the goals of arresting the decline and restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time. Administered by ACE and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant’ and maintain trees on private property. ‘ Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!“
The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.”
Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
How to Apply
- Review program guidelines to make sure your property is eligible and you understand how applications are evaluated. (Additional background information is also provided below.)
- By August 12 – Submit an expression of interest form.
- If selected, submit an online application form (deadline extended until October 20):
Background Information and Materials
Grant applications can be for:
- Tree planting on private property, or
- Maintenance to be performed on specific trees designated by Arlington County through their Champion Tree Program and Tree and Shrub Ordinance. Please email to request support.
Those eligible to apply for and receive TCF grants include:
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- The TCF provides funds for planting trees with diameters of about two inches that, at maturity, will be large canopy trees.
- ACE and UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Grant applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
2016 Tree Canopy Fund Materials
- Expression of Interest Form (must be completed by midnight Friday, August 12)
- Tree Canopy Fund Guidelines 2016-2017 (PDF)
- Tree Canopy Fund Species Available 2016-2017 (PDF)
- Arlington Canopy Coverage Map
Resources for Applicants
- Arlington County – All About Trees
- Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses’ [Paperback] – Michael A. Dirr
- Dirr’s Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia‘ [Illustrated Hardcover] – Michael A. Dirr
- Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Guide to Using, Growing, and Propagating North American Woody Plants’ [Hardcover] – William Cullina
- Tree Photos and Fact Sheets:
- TCF Tree Selection Guide 2015: Right Tree, Right Place, Right Care