Every helping hand makes Arlington's environment better. Join the ranks of more than 140 trained volunteers performing community service to improve the lives of families living in affordable housing. Read More
Board of Directors and Committee Openings
- Are you a highly motivated individual looking for place to channel your talents for the greater good?
- Are you passionate about empowering people with the information, tools, and resources they need to live a more sustainable lifestyle?
- Do you possess key skills needed to govern and grow a small, but high-impact environmental nonprofit?
If so, weâ€™d love to talk with you about our current openings on our board of directors and committees.
Once invited to join the board and after attending a board orientation session, board members serve a two-year term (minimum) beginning in March 2016. The commitment involves:
- Completing a commitment form
- Volunteering a minimum of 50 hours each year
- Participating on a committee or task force (and attending meetings as needed)
- Making an annual financial contribution to ACE
- Attending eight evening board meetings (usually 7 – 9 p.m.) per year
- January – 4th Thursday
- February – 4th Thursday
- March – Annual Meeting (varies every year; will be held on March 9, 2016)
- April – 3rd Monday
- June – 3rd Monday
- September – 3rd Monday
- November – 3rd Monday
- December – board and staff social
The average time commitment per month is five hours. Note that we welcome applications from residents of the entire DC Metropolitan area.
- Board Recruitment and Development Liaison
Are you a â€œpeople personâ€ interested in reaching out to others who support ACEâ€™s mission? Â You will â€¦
- Focus on recruitment of future Board members to bolster specific skill areas of the Board
- Mentor and orient new members as they become integral parts of the Board.
- Help further diversify the Board and steer ACE as an organization as it continues to flourish
- Connect current and future stewards of Arlingtonâ€™s environment to meaningful work
Are you a whiz with website and social media messaging, identifying and managing media contacts, and/or targeting and engaging audiences? Â Do you have excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills with a strong interest in any of the above? Â You will …
- Help guide ACEâ€™s communications and public relations strategy and publicize our events and activities.
- Play a key role in helping to shape the stories we tell about our work in the community
- Fundraising and development
Do you have direct experience and success with nonprofit fundraising? Do you have experience and interest working with large-scale membership campaigns, corporate donors, etc.? Bonus points if you have a Â Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential certification. You will â€¦
- Participate on a new development committee with fundraising priority areas that include individual memberships, major gifts, and corporate sponsorships.
- Student Board Member
Are you a current student at an Arlington middle school or high school student with an interest in environmental issues? As a student board member, you will â€¦
- Provide an important perspective on ACEâ€™s activities, especially regarding education and awareness activities.
- Gain an opportunity to make a difference while learning how a nonprofit Board functions.
- Develop invaluable leadership and communication skills
Your Role as a Board Member
Board members will …
- Educate her/himself about the programs & issues relevant to ACE.
- Serve as a committed member of the ACE Board of Directors and meet all board responsibilities detailed above, including making an annual financial gift to ACE (except student board members).
- Prepare for and participate constructively in board meetings and committee and provide financial and programmatic oversight to the organization.
- Set tone for board and committee work, ensuring that all relevant information is shared among members of subcommittees, board members, and staff.
- Provide practical support and assistance to the Executive Director
- Advocate on behalf of ACE with key stakeholders
- Use connections to raise community awareness.
- Work with development committee and staff to develop and implement annual fundraising plan.
- Bring in financial support through personally solicited funds and sponsorships.
Not ready for a two-year board term?
If you have expertise and/or a strong interest in one or more of the following areas, please get in touch:
- Board recruitment and development
- Strategic planning
- Fundraising and development
- Outreach and engagement
- Potential board members must attend our February 25 monthly board meeting before officially applying to join the board.
- Applications for the 2016-2018 term should be submitted by February 15. (Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis through early March until all positions are filled.)
- Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the executive committee with the possibility of an interview by a board member or members.
- Candidates will then be referred to the full board for a vote.
- Board members are voted in annually at our March annual meeting.
Ready to Apply?
Simply e-mail a cover letter and resume to Elenor Hodges.
More information: 703-228-6427.