Board of Directors and Committee Openings
- Are you a highly motivated individual looking for place to channel your talents for the greater good?
- Are you passionate about empowering people with the information, tools, and resources they need to live a more sustainable lifestyle?
- Do you possess key skills needed to govern and grow a small, but high-impact environmental nonprofit?
If so, weâ€™d love to talk with you about our current openings on our board of directors and committees.
Once invited to join the board and after attending a board orientation session, board members serve a two-year term (minimum) beginning in March 2016. The commitment involves:
- Completing a commitment form
- Volunteering a minimum of 50 hours each year
- Participating on a committee or task force (and attending meetings as needed)
- Making an annual financial contribution to ACE
- Attending eight evening board meetings (usually 7 – 9 p.m.) per year
- January – 4th Thursday
- February – 4th Thursday
- March – Annual Meeting (varies every year; will be held on March 9, 2016)
- April – 3rd Monday
- June – 3rd Monday
- September – 3rd Monday
- November – 3rd Monday
- December – board and staff social
The average time commitment per month is five hours. Note that we welcome applications from residents of the entire DC Metropolitan area.
- Board Recruitment and Development Liaison
Are you a â€œpeople personâ€ interested in reaching out to others who support ACEâ€™s mission? Â You will â€¦
- Focus on recruitment of future Board members to bolster specific skill areas of the Board
- Mentor and orient new members as they become integral parts of the Board.
- Help further diversify the Board and steer ACE as an organization as it continues to flourish
- Connect current and future stewards of Arlingtonâ€™s environment to meaningful work
Are you a whiz with website and social media messaging, identifying and managing media contacts, and/or targeting and engaging audiences? Â Do you have excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills with a strong interest in any of the above? Â You will …
- Help guide ACEâ€™s communications and public relations strategy and publicize our events and activities.
- Play a key role in helping to shape the stories we tell about our work in the community
- Fundraising and development
Do you have direct experience and success with nonprofit fundraising? Do you have experience and interest working with large-scale membership campaigns, corporate donors, etc.? Bonus points if you have a Â Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential certification. You will â€¦
- Participate on a new development committee with fundraising priority areas that include individual memberships, major gifts, and corporate sponsorships.
- Student Board Member
Are you a current student at an Arlington middle school or high school student with an interest in environmental issues? As a student board member, you will â€¦
- Provide an important perspective on ACEâ€™s activities, especially regarding education and awareness activities.
- Gain an opportunity to make a difference while learning how a nonprofit Board functions.
- Develop invaluable leadership and communication skills
Your Role as a Board Member
Board members will …
- Educate her/himself about the programs & issues relevant to ACE.
- Serve as a committed member of the ACE Board of Directors and meet all board responsibilities detailed above, including making an annual financial gift to ACE (except student board members).
- Prepare for and participate constructively in board meetings and committee and provide financial and programmatic oversight to the organization.
- Set tone for board and committee work, ensuring that all relevant information is shared among members of subcommittees, board members, and staff.
- Provide practical support and assistance to the Executive Director
- Advocate on behalf of ACE with key stakeholders
- Use connections to raise community awareness.
- Work with development committee and staff to develop and implement annual fundraising plan.
- Bring in financial support through personally solicited funds and sponsorships.
Not ready for a two-year board term?
If you have expertise and/or a strong interest in one or more of the following areas, please get in touch:
- Board recruitment and development
- Strategic planning
- Fundraising and development
- Outreach and engagement
- Potential board members must attend our February 25 monthly board meeting before officially applying to join the board.
- Applications for the 2016-2018 term should be submitted by February 15. (Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis through early March until all positions are filled.)
- Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the executive committee with the possibility of an interview by a board member or members.
- Candidates will then be referred to the full board for a vote.
- Board members are voted in annually at our March annual meeting.
Ready to Apply?
Simply e-mail a cover letter and resume to Elenor Hodges.
More information: 703-228-6427.