Board of Directors and Committee Openings
- Are you a highly motivated individual looking for place to channel your talents for the greater good?
- Are you passionate about empowering people with the information, tools, and resources they need to live a more sustainable lifestyle?
- Do you possess key skills needed to govern and grow a small, but high-impact environmental nonprofit?
If so, we’d love to talk with you about our current openings on our leadership including
Board of Directors
ACE is seeking motivated volunteers to serve on the board who believe in our mission to promote sustainable lifestyles and possess key skills to govern the organization and guide our work. Once invited to join the board and after attending a board orientation session, board members serve a two-year term (minimum) beginning in March 2018. The commitment involves:
- Completing a commitment form
- Volunteering a minimum of 50 hours each year
- Participating on a committee or task force (and attending meetings as needed)
- Making an annual financial contribution to ACE
- Attending a new board member orientation session.
- Attending eight evening board meetings (usually 7 – 9 p.m.) per year
- January – 4th Thursday
- February – 4th Thursday
- March – Annual Meeting (varies every year; will be held on March 14, 2018)
- April – 3rd Monday
- June – 3rd Monday
- September – 3rd Monday
- November – 3rd Monday
- December – board and staff social
The average time commitment per month is five hours. Note that we welcome applications from residents of the entire DC Metropolitan area.
Your Role as a Board Member
Board members will …
- Educate her/himself about the programs & issues relevant to ACE.
- Serve as a committed member of the ACE Board of Directors and meet all board responsibilities detailed above, including making an annual financial gift to ACE (except student board members).
- Prepare for and participate constructively in board meetings and committee and provide financial and programmatic oversight to the organization.
- Set tone for board and committee work, ensuring that all relevant information is shared among members of subcommittees, board members, and staff.
- Provide practical support and assistance to the Executive Director
- Advocate on behalf of ACE with key stakeholders
- Use connections to raise community awareness.
- Work with development committee and staff to develop and implement annual fundraising plan.
- Bring in financial support through personally solicited funds and sponsorships.
Not ready for a two-year commitment? Consider, joining a committee. It’s is a great way to get involved with a lesser time commitment.
If you have expertise and/or a strong interest in one or more of the following areas, please get in touch:
- Website development
- Membership and outreach
- Board recruitment and development
- School engagement
- 40th anniversary event
- Please email a cover letter and resume.
- Board applications for the 2018-2020 term should be submitted by February 15. (Applications can continue to be accepted on a rolling basis if not all positions are filled.)
- Committee applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Potential board members must attend our Thursday, February 22 monthly board meeting.
- Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the executive committee with the possibility of an interview by a board member or members.
- Candidates will then be referred to the full board for a vote.
- Board members will be voted in at our March 14 annual meeting.
Ready to Apply?
Please email a cover letter and resume to Elenor Hodges.
More information: 703-228-6427.