|May 8 Deadline: Reports for trees that were planted this winter that are not thriving must be submitted online by Sunday, May 8.
2016-2017 Program Announcement: Please submit your email address to be notified when the program opens. We anticipate opening up applications for 2016 in June with trees to be planted in March/April 2017.
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are, too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007 with the goals of arresting the decline and restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time. Administered by ACE and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!“
The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.”
Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Grant applications can be for:
- Tree planting on private property, or
- Maintenance to be performed on specific trees designated by Arlington County through their Champion Tree Program and Tree and Shrub Ordinance email to request support.
Report on the Status of Trees Planted in
|If a Tree Canopy Fund tree that was planted in the spring 2015 is not thriving, please let us know.|
Those eligible to apply for and receive TCF grants include:
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- The TCF provides funds for planting trees with diameters of about two inches that, at maturity, will be large canopy trees.
- ACE and UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Grant applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
Report on the Status of Trees Planted in 2014
If you have a tree that was planted between October 2014 and January 2015, please report your tree here for assessment.
2015 Tree Canopy Fund Materials (will be updated by June 2016)
- Expression of Interest Form (Now closed)
- TCF Guidelines 2015 (PDF)
- Tree Canopy Fund Species Available 2015 (PDF)
- TCF Tree Selection Guide 2015: Right Tree, Right Place, Right Care (PDF)
- Arlington Canopy Coverage Map
Resources for Applicants
- Arlington County – All About Trees
- Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses [Paperback] – Michael A. Dirr
- Dirr’s Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia [Illustrated Hardcover] – Michael A. Dirr
- Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Guide to Using, Growing, and Propagating North American Woody Plants [Hardcover] – William Cullina
- Tree Photos and Fact Sheets:
- TCF Tree Selection Guide 2015: Right Tree, Right Place, Right Care