Grant application period for 2015 now open. Please see details below about what’s new for this year. Expression of interest forms must be submitted by April 24th.
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are, too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007 with the goals of arresting the decline and restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time.Administered by ACE and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!“
The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.”
Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Grant applications can be for:
- Tree planting on private property, or
- Maintenance to be performed on specific trees designated by Arlington County through their Champion Tree Program and Tree and Shrub Ordinance (email email@example.com) to request support.
Report on the Status of Trees Planted in 2014
|Use this form to report on the status of trees that were planted in 2014 that are not thriving, as detailed on the form. Form must be submitted by midnight on Friday, May 3rd.|
Groups eligible to apply for and receive TCF grants include:
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- The TCF provides funds for planting trees with diameters of about two inches that, at maturity, will be large canopy trees.
- ACE and UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Grant applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
- The Tree Canopy Fund program will only offer large trees, with mature height ranging from 40 to 100 feet. (To receive smaller trees with mature height ranging from 20 to 35 feet, you can apply to Arlington County’s tree distribution program, which offers free tree whips at a distribution event in the fall.)
- Because of limited funding in the 2015-2016 grant cycle, the application process will be by invitation only (see guidelines for details).
- Also due to limited funding, tree selection has been limited to 10 select trees (details in the TCF Tree Selection Guide 2015).
- Trees are slated to be planted in the October to January time frame. There will be no spring planting during the 2015-2016 grant cycle.
Report on the Status of Trees Planted in 2014Use this form to report on the status of trees that were planted in 2014 that are not thriving, as detailed on the form. Form must be submitted by midnight on Friday, May 3rd.
2015 Tree Canopy Fund Application Procedure:
- Read our TCF Guidelines 2015 (PDF)
- Complete an expression of interest form by April 24, 2015 for your project and designate two point people for your group. Applying in coordination with a civic association, homeowner’s association, church/synagogue or other group is highly encouraged. Applications from individuals not affiliated with a group will also be accepted.Important – the expression of interest form is NOT a complete application form.
- Selected applicants will be notified by Friday, May 1 with an invitation to submit a full application.
- Invited applicants submit tree requests online by Friday, June 26. The expression of interest form is NOT a tree request form. Note you must fill out one online application form per tree and there are different forms depending on whether you are applying with a civic association or homeowner’s association.
- You will receive notice of awards by early October.
- Approved trees will be planted in the October to January timeline. Note: This schedule is tentative.
- Friday, April 24th – Expression of interest forms due.
- Friday, May 1st – Those who submitted an expression of interest application will be notified of status. Invitations to submit complete proposals sent.
- Friday, June 26th – Completed applications from those invited to submit a complete proposal due.
- By Late August – Applications reviewed.
- By Late September – Applicants notified of outcome.
- October to January – Tree plantings scheduled (tentative).
- May 2016 – Deadline for reporting issues with tree(s)
2015 Tree Canopy Fund Materials
- Expression of Interest Form
- TCF Guidelines 2015 (PDF)
- Tree Canopy Fund Species Available 2015 (PDF)
- TCF Tree Selection Guide 2015: Right Tree, Right Place, Right Care (PDF)
- Arlington Canopy Coverage Map
Resources for Applicants
- Arlington County – All About Trees
- Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses [Paperback] - Michael A. Dirr
- Dirr’s Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia [Illustrated Hardcover] – Michael A. Dirr
- Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Guide to Using, Growing, and Propagating North American Woody Plants [Hardcover] – William Cullina
- Tree Photos and Fact Sheets:
- TCF Tree Selection Guide 2015: Right Tree, Right Place, Right Care