Tree Canopy Fund
Note – If you are looking for information about the 2014 Tree Canopy Fund applications, please check back in mid-March. Questions? Call Elenor Hodges at 703-228-6427.
About the Tree Canopy Fund
The Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), which provides for planting trees to restore and increase Arlington County’s tree cover was launched in 2009, after Arlington County Board approval in 2007. The program gives grants to community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. The TCF is administered by Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment(ACE) and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC).
The purpose of the TCF is to arrest the decrease in tree cover in Arlington County in recent decades and then to assist in increasing canopy over time. Grant applications can be for tree planting on private property or public education and outreach related to the stewardship of trees. The TCF provides funds for planting trees with diameters of about two inches that, at maturity, will be large, canopy trees.
Groups eligible to apply for and receive TCF grants include civic and homeowner associations, community nonprofit organizations, civic service clubs, school-related groups, and ad hoc neighborhood groups. Individuals may also apply for grants for maintenance to be performed on specific trees designated by Arlington County through their Champion Tree Program and Tree and Shrub Ordinance. ACE and UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
Grant applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
New for 2014:
- The Tree Canopy Fund program will only offer large trees, with mature height ranging from 40 to 100 feet.
- To receive smaller trees with mature height ranging from 20 to 35 feet, you can apply to Arlington County’s tree distribution program which offers free tree whips at a distribution event in the fall.
Report on the Status of Trees Planted in 2013
Use this form to report on the status of trees that were planted in 2013 that are not thriving, as detailed on the form.
2014 Tree Canopy Fund Application Procedure:
- Read our Tree Canopy Fund Instructions and FAQs.
- Complete an expression of interest form for your project and designate two point people for your group. This form registers your group so that you can apply for trees. IMPORTANT – the expression of interest form is NOT a complete application form. Note – applying in coordination with a civic association, homeowner’s association, church/synagogue or other group is highly encouraged. Applications from individuals not affiliated with a group will also be accepted.
- Attend the information session at Arlington Central Library on Monday, May 5 at 7:00 p.m.
- Submit your tree requests online by Friday, June 20. The expression of interest form is NOT a tree request form. Note you must fill out one online application form per tree and there are different forms depending on whether you are applying with a civic association or homeowner’s association. If you are applying as an individual, please use the civic association form.
- You will receive notice of awards by early October.
- Approved trees will be planted in the October to January timeline. Note: This schedule is tentative and some planting may occur in the Spring, depending on the species.
2014 Tree Canopy Fund Materials
- Expression of Interest Form
- TCF Guidelines 2014 (PDF)
- Tree Canopy Fund Species Available 2014 (PDF)
- Online Application Forms for civic associations and condominiums/homeowner’s associations. (Individuals should use the civic association form.)
Additional Resources for Applicants:
- Arlington County – All About Trees
- Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses [Paperback] - Michael A. Dirr
- Dirr’s Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia [Illustrated Hardcover] – Michael A. Dirr
- Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Guide to Using, Growing, and Propagating North American Woody Plants [Hardcover] – William Cullina
- Tree Photos and Fact Sheets: